What Can I Petition?
Petitions may be submitted for the multiple reasons, including but not limited to:
- Substituting one UC San Diego course with another course taken at UC San Diego
- Substituting one UC San Diego course with a course already completed at another institution
- Substituting an upper-division course as a Technical Elective in place of courses listed in the pre-approved lists
- Substituting a UC San Diego course with a course to be taken at another institution (follow-up documentation will be required for final approval)
- Enrollment in a course without completing the required prerequiste
- Enrollment in a course concurrently with a prerequisite course
How Do I Submit a Petition?
- Have your UC San Diego student PID# and password ready.
- Log in via Undergraduate Petition portal.
Select the department that you are submitting a petition to.
- Note: Currently, only the Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Computer Science and Engineering Department, NanoEngineering Department, and the Chemistry and Biochemistry Department have online petitions. All others may require students to complete the paper form of the Undergraduate Student Petition - please check with each department on their petition process.
- Select the type of petition to be submitted.
- Complete petition request with course information and reason for petition.
- Optional: attach any supporting documents such as course syllabus, homework assignments, exam questions, project reports, etc., anything that will provide further information on the courses being petitioned. Only PDF files will be accepted.
What is the Process of Submitting a Petition?
After an online petition has been submitted, it will be reviewed by the teaching faculty, followed by the Undergraduate Advisory Council (UAC) Chair. Once reviewed, the student will be notified of decision via Virtual Advising Center (VAC) - an email will be sent to the student's UC San Diego email account alerting them that a VAC message is awaiting their review.
Other Information to Note
- Submit as early as possible! With busy schedules, travelling faculty and faculty who go on sabatical, petitions may require a longer review period than expected. The sooner a petition is submitted, the sooner it will be reviewed.
- Sometimes more information may be required than what was originally submitted. The student will be notified of this and the petition will be rerouted back to student to resubmit with further documentation.
- If you have any questions, please stop by the Student Affairs Offices during walk-in advising hours and an advisor can guide you through the process.
If you have any questions, please contact an MAE Undergraduate Academic Advisor at email@example.com