What is the UC San Diego MAE Industry Advisory Board?
The MAE Industry Advisory Board (IAB) is an external consultative group that plays a vital role in supporting the UC San Diego Department of MAE at the Jacobs School of Engineering. Comprised of industry leaders, the IAB shares a common mission: supporting and advancing the Department of MAE.
What is the mission of the IAB?
The Department of MAE at UC San Diego strives to fulfill its mission of:
• Providing our students with a strong technical education that prepares them for successful careers as engineers, technology leaders, and innovators.
• Equipping our students with core knowledge across a range of disciplines, enabling them to pursue careers that adapt and evolve.
• Preparing our students to communicate effectively and deal knowledgeably and ethically with the impact of technology on global society.
• Engaging with partners outside the traditional borders of the university campus to transform regional, national, and global society.
What are the roles of Board Members?
• Participate in meetings to provide counsel on the department's priorities and goals.
• Serve as a sounding board for the Department Faculty Chair and offer feedback on the university's contributions to industry.
• Champion new initiatives within your company and promote the work of the school.
• Identify and recruit potential board members who share our commitment to education and innovation.
• Provide possible opportunities for students and faculty, such as internships, facility tours, or research grants.
What is the process for the IAB?
The Board is led by a Chair and a Vice-Chair, both of whom serve two-year terms and work with the MAE Department Chair to direct the IAB's activities. The MAE IAB Board currently has 25 members and may be expanded in the future. Board Members serve three-year terms that can be renewed up to three (3) times at the discretion of the MAE Department Chair. The Board meets three (3) times annually – once in person and twice virtually. Meetings are used to brief members on issues within MAE and at UC San Diego at large, discuss strategic priorities, and work on impactful projects.
Joining the Board
Are you interested in joining the MAE Industry Advisory Board? Please reach out to Katie Hamilton (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.